- The Flood Tablet
Neo-Assyrian, 7th century BC From Nineveh, northern Iraq
- Map of the World
This tablet contains both a cuneiform inscription and a unique map of the Mesopotamian world
- Religious Artifact Found
From Carthage, north Africa, 2nd-1st century BC
- Giants Upon the Earth
Working from the same archaeological discoveries, artifacts, and recovered records...
- Zecharia Sitchin
In 1976, Sitchin's first book, The Twelfth Planet, began an odyssey...
- Did Adam have 3 parents?
Technologies of the gods
- Riddle of 'Baghdad's batteries'
War can destroy more than a people, an army or a leader...
- Ancient Aliens
Today's modern UFO's and Alien Contacts being reported...
- Terms of Service
Your Right to Use the Site and Its Contents
- UFO in 15th century Artwork
Painting of the Madonna and Saint Giovannino, in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence
- Giza Pyramids
A striking characteristic of the pyramids...
- Moon Seen as Astronomical Outpost
The barren Moon could become an astronomer's paradise
- Winged Disk and the Tree of Life
Neo-Assyrian, 9th century BC From Sherif Khan (Tarbisu), northern Iraq
- Tale of Tiamat / Earth
Cuneiform tablet telling the Epic of Creation
- Sumerian Astronomy
Cuneiform tablet with observations of Venus
- Sumerian God coming to Earth
The rock at Behistun, western Iran, showing inscriptions that led to the decipherment of cuneiform.
- Mars-Earth Connection
Frame 35A72 was taken by the Mars orbiting Viking craft in 1976
- Ancient Airplanes
Flight has been the dream of humankind...
- The Piri Reis map
In 1929, a group of historians found an amazing map...
- Ancient Greek Computer
In 1901 divers working off the isle of Antikythera found...
- Sumerian 12 Houses of the Zodiac
Kassite dynasty, about 1125-1100 BC
Probably from southern Iraq
- 'Lost' Avebury stones discovered
An arc of buried megaliths that once formed...
- Early depiction of the Wheel
Persian, 5th-4th century BC
Said to have been found in a tomb at Thebes, Egypt
- Ancient Megalithic Stones
Near the modern city of Baalbek in Lebanon...
- Ancient Measuring Devices
Aztec Calender Stone used by ancient peoples...
- Ancient Cities May Predate Mesopotamia
Archaeologist Graham Hancock has been examining...
- Saddam, Planet X, and Iraqi Roswell..
Saddam Hussein has been captured alive in Iraq...
- The Finaeus map
Found in the Library of Congress, Washington DC in 1960
- "Planet X" - Past and Present
Some of the latest advances in Space Science imaging...
- Temple of the Inscriptions
A cut-away drawing of the front elevation of the structure shows...
- Cuneiform Tablets
Uncovered in the debris of the Treasury in ancient Iraq...
- Beautiful Neolithic carvings
Ancient carvings contain astronomical symbolism...
- Intriguing rings of stone
The largest ring is the most enigmatic, for no cycle based on 43 is known from Mesoamerica.
- Phaistos Disc
The disc of Phaistos is the most important example of hieroglyphic...
- Mayan calendar
As the king stands at the top of the main pyramid of Zempoala...
- Native American Astronomy
The Anasazi were a mysterious people who...
- Fuente Magna and the Monolith of Pokotia
Rosetta Stone of the Americas...
- Nasca Lines
Nazca Lines are the most outstanding group of geoglyphs in the world.
This is another 'temple area' with many finely cut stones some weighing over 100 tonnes.
Ollantaytambo is a massive citadel located 50 kilometers from Machu Picchu.
- Search for Noah's Ark
Expedition would target Mount Ararat this summer...
- UFO's over IRAN
Lately there have been a number of sightings in Iran...
- Ancient city of Babylon under threat
Iraq's ancient city of Babylon, is being damaged by foreign forces...
- Ancient nuclear blasts and levitating stones
The great ancient Indian epic, the Mahabharata, contains numerous legends about the powerful force of a mysterious weapon
- Ancient nuclear blasts and levitating stones
The great ancient Indian epic, the Mahabharata, contains numerous legends about the powerful force of a mysterious weapon
- The 12,000 Yr. Old Dropa Stones
The Dropas came down from the clouds in their aircraft...
- Top 10 Ancient Civilizations With Advanced Technology
A personal friend of mine, maverick archeologist David Hatcher Childress has taken many incredible journeys...
- Mystery Stones
One of the strangest mysteries in archaeology was discovered in the Diquis Delta of Costa Rica...
- Underground UFO bases in China
China and India both know about underground UFO base in the Himalayan border area deep into the tectonic plates
- India to annouce UFO's are REAL
India may be the first country to explain to the world about extra-terrestrial and UFO contacts – the secret debate is on
- The Case of the French Astronomer
In ancient Sumer the highlight of the New Year celebration was the public reading of Enuma Elish, the “Epic of Creation.”
- Lost City Found?
The deadly tsunami could have uncovered the remains of an ancient port city off the coast in southern India..
- Collapse of Societies?
From Easter Island to Iraq - to Western World?
- Man & Dinosaur Tracks Together
Human and Dinosaur tracks preserved together...
- Ancient Egyptian Electricity
Ancient Man possessed a much greater knowledge than our schoolbook science is willing to accept...
- Stolen Artifacts from Iraq
Archaeological sites in southern Iraq have been systematically looted for over two years...
- Ancient civilization achieved incredible technological progress 40 centuries ago
Scientists discovered mysterious circles on the area of the ancient Russian town of Arkaim, which is the same age with Egypt and Babylon
As is well known there are literally hundreds of pyramids of various styles scattered over the Earth, in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Far East, Southeast Asia and South Pacific, and in North and South America. A few of these sites demonstrating the different styles are:
- Iraq: The reconstructed ziggurat-pyramid at Ur, in ancient Sumer.
- Egypt: The step pyramid at Saqqara.
- Egypt: The smooth-walled pyramids at Giza. Hancock and Bauval (1996) suggest that the ‘ground plan’ of the three great pyramids was physically established in 10,500 bc, but that the pyramids were built around 2,500 bc. This supports the notion that the pyramid base rock with its underground chamber was an early AA terminal, and the Sphinx was the associated landmark easily identified from space.
- Mexico: The highly decorated step pyramids at Chichen-Itza, Monte Alban, and elsewhere. In the Temple of Inscriptions at Palenque, a shaft runs from the tomb up to the temple floor, similar to some of the Egyptian pyramids. There was initially a 40 ft "comb" on the top. Was this an additional identifying marker?
- Mexico: The unusual elliptical pyramid at Uxmal.
- Mexico: The huge, unexcavated pyramid at Cholula (Fig 4-1), in the shadow of the volcano, Popocatepetl ("El Popo"). Its ancient name, Tlachihualtepetl, means "man-made mountain". On Quetzalcoatl’s pilgrimage his first stop was Cholula, which means ‘the place of flight’ in Nahuatl. The huge "Piramide Tepanapa", 200 ft high and 1300 ft on a side, is the largest ancient pyramid in the Americas, and possibly the largest in the world. The earliest construction has been traced to 200 bc. It was covered with dirt to hide it from the invading Spaniards and a small shrine was placed at the top, which the Spanish replaced with a church (Fig 4-1). The small portion which has been excavated reveals remarkable masonry.
Mexico: Tres Zapotes, an Olmec site (1300 – 400 bc), was the first adobe-brick pyramid site in Mesoamerica. (Mystery buffs please note: Before the arrival of Cortez ALL of the Olmec sites were destroyed, except El Tijin, which had been abandoned!)
- Mexico: The truncated cone pyramid of Cuicuilco. In 1917 Manuel Gamio, excavating off the road from Mexico City to Cuernavaca, found an overgrown hill called ‘Cuicuilco’ enveloped by pre-historic lava streams. It turned out to be an enormous ancient pyramid or truncated cone with four galleries and central staircase. It is one of the few remaining round stepped pyramids. The base is 370 ft and it is about 60 ft high now, although it was originally much higher. Archeologist Paul Heinrich reports the age to be 800 to 600 bc, not 6000 bc as reported by others. (Miller, 2000)
- Mexico: The beautiful miniature pyramid at Cecilia, D.F.
- Mexico: The platform-pyramids at Teotenango, Tenayaca, and Tula.
- Mexico: The multi-platform style of the Pyramid of the Sun, Teotihuacan. In his discussion of Teotihuacan, John Michel (1995) quotes another researcher: "During the 1970s Hugh Harleston, Jr …established that ‘the basic unit of measurement at Teotihuacan was 1.0594 meters, the same unit which represents the ‘Jewish rod’ of 3.4757 ft., the same unit which represents the width of the Stonehenge lintels, a six-millionth part of the earth’s polar radius…’"
- Guatemala: The huge pre-classic (150 bc-150 ad) Mayan site of El Mirador with its dozens of pyramids, including the Tigre Pyramid rising 18 stories high, probably the largest pyramid ever built by the Maya.
- Peru: Moche Temple of the Sun. The earlier Moche built this temple-pyramid style pyramid from 140 million adobe bricks.
- Peru: Sipan Pyramid. This Moche pyramid-tomb near the town of Sipan proves that some of the early SA pyramids were tombs, as in Egypt and Mesoamerica.
- Peru: Pyramids of Cahuachi. A ceremonial site comprised of six pyramids, the highest being about 70 ft, overlooking a walled court of 4050 sq yards. (Morrison, 1988). Hadingham (1987) mentions that the "great temple" was a stepped pyramid. He quotes Helaine Silverman’s estimate that the period of most activity at Cahuachi was short lived, about 200 years, and the site was mysteriously abandoned around 200 ad, along with other several other important sites.
- Peru: The pyramids of Tucume. "Covering over 540 acres and including 26 major pyramids as well as myriad smaller structures…first built around 1100 ad by people of the Lambayeque culture…" The largest of the adobe brick pyramids, Huaca Larga, is 2300 ft long, 910 ft wide and 65 ft high. (Heyerdahl, 1995). Robert Schoch (1999) writes, "The largest of the pyramids, called Tucume…was only a little over 200 feet high, but it contained one-third more volume that the Pyramid of Khufu at Giza."
- Peru: Huaca del Sol, Moche Valley. This is a 120 ft high pyramid on the Peruvian north coast. The 1.5 million mud brick pyramid is the largest man-made mound in SA. Facing Huaca del Sol across the main plaza was a smaller mound, Huaca del Luna. The site lies at the foot of Cerro Blanco, an obvious landmark from space for this ceremonial/feeding center (Hadingham, 1987)
- Bolivia: The Akapana platform-pyramid at Tiahuanaco. The Bolivian archaeologists date the site to 1580 bc. The Akapana measures 688 ft on a side and is 49 ft high. "The earthen interior was shaped like a stepped pyramid and faced with fitted stones." (Demetrio, 1983)
- Java: Cani Sukuh pyramid, resembling the Mexico pyramid style (Childress, 1996). Who carried this style across the Pacific?
- Ryukyu Islands: The Yonaguni underwater pyramid. This unique step-pyramid-platform, 240 ft long and 90 ft high, resting 75 ft underwater, has been dated to 8000 bc! (Dopatka, 2000)
- China: The White Pyramid, near Xi’an. Hartwig Hausdorf (1998) says there are 90-100 pyramids in China, near Xi’an, the tallest being about 200 ft. Xi’an incidentally is the site of the amazing ‘Terracotta Army’ of Qin Shi Huang.
- Polynesia: "modest pyramids" at Tongatabu; a temple-pyramid on Tahiti; the Langi stepped pyramid-platform at Tauhala (a large stone, 24 x 7 ft and weighing 30-40 tons, is in the wall).
- Ancient pyramids are also found on Samoa and Java. (Childress, 1996)
- Greece: Pyramid of Hellinikon, near Argos. The author writes, "…built in the style reminiscent of cyclopean walls…" Its base is 15 x 13 meters, and the tallest wall still standing it only 14 ft. From the photos it probably would have stood about 10 meters high when completed. Thermoluminescent analysis of the pyramid in 1997 yielded a construction date of 2720 bc, older than the archeologists state for the Cheops pyramid! (Tsoukalow, 2000)
- Canary Islands: The pyramids of Guimar. Thor Heyerdahl writes, "…They were painstakingly built step-pyramids, constructed according to similar principles as those of Mexico, Peru, and ancient Mesopotamia."
- United States: Monk’s pyramid-mound at Cahokia, Illinois, a mud brick platform-pyramid. A large stone wall or room has recently been discovered inside the mound, but has not been excavated as of Oct 2000.
- Yonaguni: Situated between the East China Sea and the Philippine Sea, about 300 miles from Okinawa, is the island of Yonaguni-Jima. Off it's coast is a huge apparently manmade (god-made?) monument about 100 ft below the surface. Its a platform pyramid 600 ft wide, 90 ft high constructed of precisely hewn megalithic stones. The pyramid, apparently a part of a ceremonial center, has been dated to 8000 bc, 5000 years before the oldest pyramid in Egypt!
The best clue we have that the gods orchestrated the pyramid building is the tale of Gudea who built the temple-ziggurat at Lagash (apparently the god Kothar-Hasis was the only one authorized to design the temples. He was likely the same "Greek divine craftsman Hepahaestus" who built the temple-abode of Zeus, and the Egyptian god Thoth). For Ninurta’s temple at Lagash Gudea was given elaborate and continuous instructions by the gods. He built a seven-tier ziggurat, named Eninnu, referring to a ingenious tablet which gave a plan view and 7 scales – one for each tier (Zecharia Sitchin describes this story in detail in his 1976 and 1993 books. See also figs 748, 749 of Pritchard, 1969).
Zecharia Sitchin makes an interesting connection with his statement that the three great pyramids of Giza are at 52 degree, but the later pyramids collapsed at this angle and were built at 43.5 degrees, and he maintains that the pyramids at Teotihuacan are also at 43.5 degrees. Furthermore "although the 2nd pyramid at Giza is shorter than the Great Pyramid, their peaks are at the same height above sea level because the 2nd one is built on higher ground; the same holds true at Teotihuacan where the smaller Pyramid of the Moon is built on ground some thirty feet higher than the Sun Pyramid, giving their peaks equal height above sea level." We should note here also that both the Great Pyramid at Giza and the Sun Pyramid at Teotihuacan have a descending shaft burrowed into the bedrock on which the pyramids were built.
One of the problems in choosing a landing site for a vertical-lift aircraft is the dust and dirt generated by the exhaust. Before pyramids were built this problem was apparently minimized by landing on large rock outcrops.
The problem is better solved however by landing on step pyramids, or step platforms, since the tiers at each level would effectively deflect the exhaust.
The ziggurats at Urand Babylon, the Zoser pyramid in Egypt (Fig 4-4), the Canary Island pyramids, and most of the Mexican pyramids and South American pyramids, employed this design.
Interestingly some of the Egyptian pyramids have multiple chambers which seem to have been built over periods of time, e.g. Sneferu’s pyramid has an underground chamber, a 2nd chamber near the surface, and a 3rd chamber up in the pyramid, as if the site was in use before, possibly long before, the pyramid was erected, probably as a landing and feeding site. The chambers of the Great Pyramid also follow this pattern; the 1st one being deep underground, then the 2nd (‘Queens’) chamber built low in the center of the pyramid, and the 3rd (‘Kings’) chamber higher up. This pattern suggests that one goal was to provide continuous and increasing degrees of protection from above.
The pyramids of Mycerinus, Unas, Teti and most others also had underground chambers. In fact the pyramids of Mycerinus and some others did not even have chambers in the pyramids themselves - all chambers were underground! Obviously this design would make excellent bomb shelters, and I suspect that the large pyramids, and any hapless occupants, if they had been located at "ground zero" at Hiroshima or Nagasaki, would have survived. The pyramidal shape would have effectively deflected most of the blast wave and fireball, and the neutron and gamma-ray pulses would have been attenuated to negligible levels by the stone mass.
Zecharia Sitchin (1985) offers a rather fantastic function for the pyramids of Giza: that they were built by the Nefilim, not by mankind, as part of a guidance grid for "the Tilmun spaceport". He develops a theory that ties the pyramids and the "sacred cities" into a guidance and communication grid for two approach corridors, one west-to-east over Mesopotamia and one west-to-east over the Sinai. "Built by the gods (Anunnaki), they were landmarks and beacons for the spaceport in Sinai, and existed long before kingship began in Egypt.
" The great pyramid was "…the mountain by which Utu ascends…".
Regarding the Giza pyramids some scholars argue that the stones were pulled up long ramps on sleds, referencing the familiar painting from the tomb of Djehutihotepe of 204 workers moving his 60 ton statute on a sled (Fig 4-5). But this only proves that this statue was moved on a sled. I am not aware of a single image or inscription which depict the methods used to construct the great pyramids. We simply do not know how it was done.
Incidentally Mark and Richard Wells (2000) have discovered an amazing similarity in the alignment and size of the three stars in Orion's belt and the alignment and size of the major pyramids at Giza, Egypt; Xi'an, China; Teotihuacan, Mexico. Don't miss their essay.
So we have pyramids of heights ranging from 30 ft to over 400 ft, lengths from 100 ft to 2300 ft; some with inner chambers and some solid throughout; stepped and smooth walled; square, round and elliptical bases; stone, mud and adobe brick construction; highly decorated or plain; some topped with small buildings.
From these various styles, sizes, and composition I think we can conclude that the pyramids had several functions: burial sites, landmarks, landing sites, feeding stations, bomb shelters, and ceremonial sites; and there is evidence that many of them served several functions simultaneously. But one thing seems certain – the pyramids, platforms and mounds around the world were places where the gods and mankind came together.